Monday, February 05, 2007

I Hate Macs

Here comes some hyperbole: This article entitled, "I Hate Macs" is about the dumbest thing I have ever read in print to date. The author says,
PCs are the ramshackle computers of the people. You can build your own from scratch, then customise it into oblivion. Sometimes you have to slap it to make it work properly, just like the Tardis (Doctor Who, incidentally, would definitely use a PC). PCs have charm; Macs ooze pretension. When I sit down to use a Mac, the first thing I think is, "I hate Macs", and then I think, "Why has this rubbish aspirational ornament only got one mouse button?" Losing that second mouse button feels like losing a limb. If the ads were really honest, Webb would be standing there with one arm, struggling to open a packet of peanuts while Mitchell effortlessly tore his apart with both hands. But then, if the ads were really honest, Webb would be dressed in unbelievably po-faced avant-garde clothing with a gigantic glowing apple on his back. And instead of conducting a proper conversation, he would be repeatedly congratulating himself for looking so cool, and banging on about how he was going to use his new laptop to write a novel, without ever getting round to doing it, like a mediocre idiot.
Here is a little experiment for all you PC users who think your computer is better:

1. Find ten PC users
2. Find ten mac users

Then ask them the following questions:

1. How many times did you computer freeze up causing a restart in the last month?
2. Have you ever gotten even the smallest of viruses?
3. How easy is it for you to set up a super fast file sharing network from computer to computer?
4. How much did you spend on video editing software, picture software, and music editing software?
5. How easy is it to search out files on your computer? Do you usually find what you are looking for?
6. Where do you go to get your computer questions answered? Is there even any place that you can go? How was the experience?
7. How long did it take you to find and install all the drivers you needed for things such as your printer, digital camera, sound card, video camera, etc
8. How easy is it for you to make a podcast?
9. Which computer can run Windows and Mac OS on the same computer?
10. How easy is it for you to do video chat?

For no extra charge... How many people do you know that have switched from PC to Mac? How many do you know that have gone the other way around?

Based on the results the evidence will be clear which is superior. It really isn't even worth the discussion.

(HT: Denny Burk)

6 comments:

Jason Kanz said...

I fully admit my error in buying a PC this last time around. Granted, the Dell XPS is a nice machine as PCs go, but it ain't a Mac. I hope my stupidity does not resurface when it is time to "upgrade."

jfisher said...

PC User Response:

1. How many times did you computer freeze up causing a restart in the last month?

At least twice, that I remember.

2. Have you ever gotten even the smallest of viruses?

No, but I'm pretty careful about what I download and keeping my AV up-to-date.

3. How easy is it for you to set up a super fast file sharing network from computer to computer?

It is fairly easy for me because I've done it so many times, but the reason I've done it so many times is because it is not easy for all the people I had to set it up for!

4. How much did you spend on video editing software, picture software, and music editing software?

I assume the question implies that this software is worth having? I upgraded the stuff that comes with Windows at the tune of about $245.

5. How easy is it to search out files on your computer? Do you usually find what you are looking for?

It's definitely not hard - it just takes forever. I'd say 60-70% of the time I find what I'm looking for - but I really have to be able to narrow it down.

6. Where do you go to get your computer questions answered? Is there even any place that you can go? How was the experience?

I use google until I find something that fits my situation. Sometimes Microsoft has a knowledge-base that is what I'm looking for, but usually not.

7. How long did it take you to find and install all the drivers you needed for things such as your printer, digital camera, sound card, video camera, etc

Finding: < 2 min... Installing: 2 hrs?

8. How easy is it for you to make a podcast?
Once I found a quick-n-easy .php web-based interface, it is now quite easy for me to make a podcast. But there surely isn't anything on a PC that helps me do that.

9. Which computer can run Windows and Mac OS on the same computer?

Why would you want to run Windows when you can run Mac OS? I guess the same could be said for Linux or Red Hat, too?

10. How easy is it for you to do video chat?

Through Yahoo IM or MSN, it is quite simple once you buy the camera, find the drivers, install the software, and adjust all your settings...

What are the Mac People answers? I assume all this comes ready-to-go with a Mac.

But how much do Mac users spend on Office software? The main reason I use a PC is compatibility with the other PC users and the programs that are available that aren't always available for Macs.

JT said...

Calvin's view on idolatry was both insightful and applicable:

"The evil in our desire typically does not lie in what we want, but that we want it too much."

JT

Vitamin Z said...

JT -

How can you want what you already have?

Eat it.

z

Anonymous said...

at least you're being humble and not one-sided about the whole thing.....oh wait...

Anonymous said...

Q. Has your Mac ever made a mysterious unstoppable clicking noise while you were bragging about how great Macs are?

Somehow that little incident was left out of your blog post.

When the 4pm bell rings, DSC is going Westside Story--PC's vs Macs.