Thursday, January 03, 2008

So What's Wrong With It?

Brant Hansen gives a good question to ask to your local (or national) politician who says they are personally opposed to abortion, but doesn't think the government should be involved:
While they're out campaigning...

If you get a chance, here's a fun question to ask your fave politician whose position on abortion is the familiar refrain, "While I personally am opposed to abortion, I don't think the government should be involved in...etc."

I tried the question once in a sit-down with a few reporters and then U.S. Senator Carol Moseley-Braun, after she gave an impassioned speech in the partial-birth abortion debate. She's personally very opposed to abortion, she said, repeatedly, but just didn't see how the government should have a say in...etc. So she vote against banning partial-birth abortion.

You say you are personally, conscientiously opposed to abortion.

"Yes."

Question: What's so wrong with it?"

Literally: Thirty seconds of "Um...uh...ah...Well, I...uh...ah..." Thirty seconds. I could have left for a bite and come back. On and on.

"Well...I....um..." then finally, "Um...well...you know, I'm Catholic."

The problem with abortion is you're Catholic?

"I'm Catholic."

Anyway, try it sometime!

No comments: