Saturday, February 09, 2008

Once


Kim and I just finished watching our first attempt at renting a movie from iTunes. Apart from it being overpriced compared to Netflix it went just fine as most Mac things do.

We rented, Once, on a recommendation from my friend Emily. What an amazing and refreshing experience! It's the story of two down and out characters in Dublin that find each other and strike up a friendship that most people can relate to. The tension, the weirdness, and the attraction. They are both musicians and they connect immediately based on this common interest.

This is a serious indie film, so know that going into it. It's not slick in any sense and therein likes the interest and the charm. It is full of very cool music from the lead character. The actor actually wrote most of the music and it's really good. They actually let you hear whole songs of his in this film which was one of the first things that struck me. It's rare to get a whole song in a movie, but I found it very refreshing and added to the realness. I would buy his CD just after watching him do his songs (in character) in this film. It's almost like a musical, but it can't be because I hate musicals, but you get the idea. Don't think choreography and cheesy hand movements. Think very cool songs sung by the characters throughout the movie.

This film has a refreshing realness that is hard to find in most Hollywood "chic flick" romance movies. Support good art and give this one a viewing.

James Berardinelli, writing for reelviews, summed it up well:
It deserves to be seen and offers more real human emotion than most of the year's would be box office busters.
Read some more reviews here. A 97% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes is pretty amazing.

5 comments:

emily said...

I'm glad you loved it! As soon as I got done watching this I downloaded all the songs and I downloaded their CD that they made together. I guess they are actually together in real life. It took them 2 weeks to shoot this film and they both had never acted before! LOVE IT! I completely agree with you that it was pretty cool that they would do entire songs, that it was musical-ish, but no cheesy song and dance numbers. It was so good to talk to you today! Macbook...here i come! haha!

MTR said...

Dude, Z, your review of this movie sounds like a mix between Jerry Soneson and Harold Kaylor ... remember those guys?

No offense, but I probably won't see it!

Actually, right now, I'm watching Ken Burns "Baseball" ... 95% of Americans would be drawn in by it, even if you hate sports or baseball ... the historical and national significance of the game is amazing. I used to be just a Yankees fan, and could care less about baseball outside the Yankees ... now I love baseball AND the Yankees!

"It's so refreshing."

:)

Vitamin Z said...

Ryesetter,

I wouldn't expect one who thinks "Babe Winkleman's fishing show" is good art to dig such an amazing film as this.

Anonymous said...

The main actor is actually an Irish rocker. He's the lead singer for a band called The Frames. Great stuff.

Matt Crutchmer said...

We watched it and loved it as well; Glen can belt it.