Thursday, March 13, 2008

Adoption as Ministry

J.D. Greear reports:

I've included below a letter that one of our college pastors, Trevor Atwood, sent back from Ethiopia. He and Keva are adopting their second son from there, and his letters have been so moving to me I wanted to share them with you. Adoption is a fantastic ministry, where you really (as you'll see) can make an unbelievable difference in the life of someone. And it's one of the clearest displays of the Gospel that I can think of. Talk about doing international missions right in your own home! Enjoy...

Today was good day.

Giant breakthrough.

Isaac began to live up to his name "He Laughs". his middle (ethiopian) name means "he has seen many things". We had definitely seen this side of him. But today, his new name came shining through.

We canceled all of our plans today to just stay here at the house with Isaac. This morning, Isaac screamed for an hour. We are trying not to 'give in' very much, because a lot of his demeanor has to do with the fact that he was spoiled with so many caregivers at the foster home. We also don't want him to keep pushing me away, so we are trying to show him that you don't get Momma without Daddy, we are a package deal. anyway, he screamed for an hour before lunch, and before coming downstairs for dinner.

BUT, things changed...drastically. Of course, he really straightens up at lunch. This boy LOVES to eat (and his fat rolls testify to the fact). He also loves animals (so he is pretty much the bizarro Micah). SO lunchtime he is smiling and eating an adult size plate of spaghetti, then wanting more. He can drink straight out of man-size glass (going to have to tudor Micah in that area). Anyway, I left right after lunch to make some of our return travel arrangements, and when I got back, Keva told me he had been walking, playing with a ball, and sitting and playing by himself (most of the time if he is not glued to Keva, he is crying). SO, I missed that one.

Then, back to screaming later. For an hour. And believe you me, this dude has some serious pipes. It is quite the shriek. He finally settles down, we come downstairs and the REAL Isaac comes out to play. He played with me, he actually played with me. We played with some toys, he loved peek-a-boo, and throwing paper in the floor for me to pick up. He would also bonk me on the head and watch me fall over. Then he wanted to climb the stairs, on his own feet. We held his hands and walked him up and down 3 flights of stairs. Then we had dinner and he did more playing and chattering than eating (which is big for him). He went to bed with a short objection but fell immediately asleep.

So, end of the day...we made serious progress today, got some smiles on camera, and verified that his chubby legs actually work for standing and walking.

Tomorrow, we visit some of the older kids orphanages. Keep praying for us. God is working. Here is an excerpt from an email I sent earlier. some of the info is repeat, but I didn't want to rewrite, just cut and pasted.

I am learning a lot about how i treat God. with Isaac crying, screaming, pushing me away, not understaning my love...it is hard. I told him today the joy he is missing in playing with me while he screams and tries to get rid of me because he thinks something else will satisfy him, take care of him, calm him. Then this afternoon...BREAKTHROUGH. He began to play with me, laugh with me, enjoy me. I was overwhelmed with joy. WHY? Because my son was enjoying me. As I kicked a soccer ball against a wall watching him walk around, I began to tear up thinking about how pleasing it is to God when I enjoy him. Yet i resist so many times looking for my joy in someone or something else. I asked God today to remind me of these moments with Isaac when I chase after idols. Praise be to God for speaking as through a bullhorn through our new son. And for giant breakthroughs!!!

No comments: