Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Simply Being Present As The First Step In Learning To Communicate Well

The first section of my presentation discusses the importance of good musical communication in the jazz combo and how the church can look to it as a metaphor from which to learn. It will have three sections, 1) simply being present, 2) speaking the language, and 3) listening. All three are essential for good communication in the jazz combo and we can learn much from this picture for healthy church life. These will be shown today, tomorrow and the following day.

In the first part of this first section I talk about how we have to be committed to community and how community is the best way to experience music and the church.

1 comment:

Christopher Lake said...

Very good thoughts, Zach. To put it bluntly, I hate the isolated nature of the "iPod culture" in which we live. That's actually one of the reasons I don't own an iPod-- I don't need more ways to shut other people out and to withdraw into myself, when I'm out and about in the world!

So, we agree that God is a community, and God's people are to reflect His love in community. How does this principle work itself out in getting to know our neighbors, when, as you mentioned, it can be so hard to even *meet* them? Do we just go and knock on their doors in the evening and introduce ourselves? I know neighbors *used* to do such things almost automatically when someone new moved into the neighborhood, and it seems to me that maybe we (the church) should revive this practice. However, should we wait for a new person to move in to introduce ourselves? How do we get to know the people who are already around us? I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.