Thursday, May 07, 2009

"God Told Me..."

"I know some people talk about God's work in their lives using different phrases. But if we say "God told me to do this" or "God's leading me here," this puts our decision out of reach from criticisms or concerns. We should choose some different terminology. "I prayed about it, and this seems best" or "It seems like the Lord is leading" would be a more helpful way of communicating our dependence on God. We don't want "God told me so" or "God laid it on my heart" or "It's God's will" or worse yet, "God told me that He wants you to do such and such" to be conversation stoppers that remove accountability in decision making."
- Kevin DeYoung, Just Do Something, p. 49

I don't doubt that God can and sometimes does "tell" people to do certain things. I have had strong impressions (that is my word of choice for this type of experience) that I was supposed to do X, Y, and Z and when I did, it seemed that it was certainly in accordance with God's word and he blessed it.

The typical thing you hear from musicians is that "God gave them" this certain song. This is over the top and I would never say this to a person's face, but oftentimes after I heard the song I would want to ask, "Well, why is God such a bad songwriter?".

The point is that we need to guard our language that describes our experiences.

4 comments:

Mark Smith said...

An old Baptist preacher, Ron Dunn -- who is now with the Lord -- said...and I think he even wrote the book: Don't just do something; PRAY! I like his perspective, while at the same time, his advice must be seen in context of human responsibility, under Grace, so as to not just sit back and say with abandon "let go and let God!"

One other thing -- I agree with you on the music. Some that people claim to have "received" are bad musically, theologically, etc. But NONE of our music measures up to God's glory. Even Handel's Messiah, as wonderful as it is, and as likely inspired as it was, is still inadequate in its expression. But how great it is that that is true -- that God's glory FAR FAR exceeds even the best of human expression! 1 Cor 1:21 says: For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe."

Michael said...

Hey man- Just want to say I love reading your blog. Keep up the good work bro.
Michael Bleecker

Vitamin Z said...

Thanks!

z

Christopher Lake said...

Mark Dever wrote a great article on this very subject that largely sums up what I think about it: http://www.9marks.org/partner/Article_Display_Page/0,,PTID314526%7CCHID598016%7CCIID1552702,00.html