Monday, June 22, 2009

Pondering Justice and Mercy

I have had some interactions lately where the topic of justice and mercy has been at the fore. I have found myself saying numerous times that it's interesting to reflect on the fact that we always want justice for someone else who has committed evil, but we never want justice for ourselves when we commit evil.

How often when observing, or being hurt by the sin of someone else we think to ourselves (similar to James and John), "Git 'em God!! Rain down your fire of judgment on them! Do it quick and make it severe!"

When was the last time you pursued this type of justice for yourself? When was the last time, when contemplating your own sin you said to God, "Kill me now! May your righteous judgment be put on full display in relation to my evil heart! I deserve it! Bring it now!"

I never have. Have you?

This might tell us something about our selfishness. May God's mercy towards us lead us to readily extend it to others.

No comments: