Thursday, September 24, 2009

Can You Wait? Oh How Hard It Is!

Oftentimes in counseling I will talk about how sanctification in the Christian life can be boiled down to the "obedience of faith". (Romans 1:5, Romans 16:26). Do you believe by faith that the long term blessing of obedience is much better than the short term pleasures of sin? Being ruled by instant gratification usually will not produce much holiness in our lives.

Below is a classic illustration of this point. Funny and cute, but great spiritual insight.



(HT: Worship Trench)

3 comments:

sara said...

I get your point and I think you're right but this experiment told the kids they COULD eat the marshmallow immediately if they chose but that their reward would be greater if they waited. I think it illustrates a lesson other than obedience.

Vitamin Z said...

Sara,

The point I am trying to make is that waiting oftentimes brings a greater blessing. Obedience is an issue of faith. Do I believe God and what he tells me? What he tells me oftentimes takes great patience and waiting. If I don't believe there is a greater blessing in that, I'll probably just go for the instant gratification.

z

Denita TwoDragons said...

I wonder if we, on a spiritual level, look the same way to God that those kids look to us? Only I'm sure he doesn't crack up at the looks on our faces.

Me laugh? I'm fallen, flawed, and guilty as charged. Giggled so hard I'm going to have to take my inhaler now. Stupid asthma...