Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Flunking Kingdom Economics

Darryl Dash:
I got up yesterday ready to speak about God’s upside-down economy. “Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, ‘Anyone who wants to be first must be the very last, and the servant of all’” (Mark 9:35). Mind-blowing stuff.
But before heading out, I checked Google Reader. I read about the top religion blogs according to Technorati (http://technorati.com/blogs/directory/living/religion/) and began thinking about how nice it would be to make the top ten.

Later on I heard somebody pray for the staff of the church. “Especially,” he said... I waited to hear my name. “...for Jonathan.” Why not me? I thought. I quickly pushed the thought aside, but I have to admit being glad when he finally got around to me.

It doesn’t take a genius to see the irony. I was about to speak about the first becoming last, servants of all. This is how things work in God’s economy. Jesus himself modeled this. If anybody had a right to be number one, it was Jesus. But he took the path of obscurity and service, a path that lead him directly to his own death.

He even used an infant as an object lesson. Back then, infants weren’t seen as all cute and full of potential. They were seen as resource hogs who consumed and demanded much and gave nothing in return. They weren’t even considered full persons. They were dependent, vulnerable, and unlearned, and had no status or rights. Jesus said, “Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me.” In other words, whoever welcomes those who are seen as disposable and of no value are living according to God’s economy. We know we get it when we welcome those that everyone else rejects, those who can suck our time and resources and give nothing in return.

I was about to speak about all of this, but I didn’t get it. Not really. I understand the kingdom economy, but I still find myself as baffled as the disciples were.

I’m flunking kingdom economics. It’s especially embarrassing because I pass myself off as one of the teachers.

I’m flunking, but I refuse to drop out. I’m still hoping that I will one day I’ll get it. I take comfort from the fact that the disciples seemed to get it eventually. Maybe one day the world’s economy will seem upside-down, and the kingdom economy will make much more sense.

I’m a pretty poor learner. Good thing that Jesus is a good teacher.

No comments: