Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Statement That Implodes Upon Itself

In reference to the Tim Tebow Super Bowl commercial:
 Terry O'Neill, the president of the National Organization for Women, said she had respect for the private choices made by women such as Pam Tebow but condemned the planned ad as "extraordinarily offensive and demeaning."
"That's not being respectful of other people's lives," O'Neill said. "It is offensive to hold one way out as being a superior way over everybody else's."
I am honestly not trying to be smug here, but it just grieves me when people say these things that are so blatantly contradictory.

So it's wrong to "hold one way as being superior way over everybody else's"?  Then why is Terry communicating her view of the Tim Tebow commercial?  I feel "demeaned" that Terry would impose her views on me like this. 

If no view can be held out as superior, then why is Terry trumpeting her view that the Tim Tebow commercial should be removed? Seems that she feels as though her view is superior to mine since I believe that all the world should watch the commercial.   

I could go on and on.  You get the point.  Please, when people say things like this, figure our a way to gently and lovingly challenge it. 

3 comments:

Zack said...

I feel your frustration...

Anonymous said...

Rationalists

Unknown said...

I hate it when people carry arguments to their logical conclusion.