Sunday, June 27, 2010

How to Lose Well

Many people consider Fedor Emelianenko to be the best pound for pound fighter in the world.  Last night he lost for the first time in a huge upset.  You can watch that here (it goes pretty fast):





Here were his comments after the fight. I applaud his humility:



Here was another quote from him:
"The one who doesn’t fall never stands up, It happened that people made me an idol. But everybody loses. I’m just a human being. And if it’s God’s will next fight, I’ll win.... At the very beginning of the round, I hit him and I wanted to finish as soon as possible, at that moment, I made a mistake. I would like to have a rematch with Fabricio if he was to agree. I’d love to do that.... There were several moments when I could escape, but I relied on myself too much and that’s why I paid for it. At the very moment when I had to escape, I stopped, and that moment was used for Fabricio to lock it on. I’m really very sorry and it’s a pity that I disappointed people who believe in me and trusted in me, but everything in this life happens for some reason. If God decided this is what should happen, then it’s the best thing for this very time."

3 comments:

Darrin said...

Goods words, good example; quite inspirational. Thanks for the post.

Josh R said...

He looks like a good guy. It will be interesting to contrast his word's with Lesner's after Carwin beats him next week.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I appreciated his humility and desire to give God glory. I don't get the sport, but if I did, I suppose I'd be a fan.
BTW- if my two boys fought like that, there is no way I would have thought that the other guy was winning anything. From a completely untrained eye, the dude on the bottom was getting creamed. Just goes to show that I don't know anything about how guys fight!
:)Heather