Monday, January 10, 2011

Structures for Focus While Working at Your Computer

Justin Buzzard writes:

I’ve found it increasingly difficult to focus when working from my laptop. I want to focus on creating, writing, etc., but I’m tempted to check email, the latest internet news, twitter, etc. So, I went looking for help. 
I found help. I found SelfControl, a free app that blocks access to the things that distract you for a predetermined amount of time. 
SelfControl is simple. You click the SelfControl icon and set the amount of time you want your access to particular websites/email servers restricted (I set it to block all internet access). Then, a small timer appears on your desktop and begins to count down. 
I’ve been using SelfControl for three weeks now. I love it. I typically set the timer for 1 hour chunks, position the timer in the right hand corner of my desktop, then crank away at my work. I’m noticeably more productive and focused because of this handy little app. Go get SelfControl
Tell me how you like it.

1 comment:

Eric S. said...

Good idea.

Ironic name.